Monday, February 25, 2008

American Poem - Dominique, Melinda, Ebony, & Luis

I can walk these streets and say as I please
but you can't
you can barely go somewhere without being asked to leave
I can voice my opinion to my superior and walk out alive
and when I commit a crime, I have a right to a trial
but you, your name will be next on the homicide files

You saved my life from that fire
Your courage is what I desire
If you never would have rescued me
on this earth I would not be
I was in the room when you turned the knob
I am very grateful you did your job

Together we are one
Apart we are none
That is what we are trying to overcome
Blacks and whites come together
So we can achieve something better
Racial equality is here today
So what we need to do is come together and make it stay

With its amazing strength there is nothing America can not overcome
In times of need
people are willing to stop that "American greed"
People risk their lives
In order to make sure that others survive
Through bad events or bad weather
the people of America only pull together
This is what makes America so strong
and it will stay that way for years to come

No comments: